Re: [technology-pmc] Do we really need the SOC project?

The Technology PMC has not changed its thinking. Perpetually immature, very long-lived research projects can still find a home at in the Technology PMC. However, it's worth point out that, at this point in our project review process, I haven't come across anything that feels like a research project. I'm not saying that we have none, I just haven't found anything that feels like "perpetually immature".

One of the things that we're trying to do is to get projects to think about their future to make sure that they're doing the sorts of things that will set themselves up for success. If a project intends to move from Technology to another top-level project, for example, there may be requirements that they'll have to fill; thinking about this relatively early on should make future transitions easier. At least that's my thinking.

Wayne

Mike Milinkovich wrote:
It is a matter of perspective. I know from talking to Brian Barry, the
original Technology PMC leader, his concept was that Research projects could
be very long lived and perpetually immature. If the thinking now is that all
incubators need to grow up and move somewhere, then I think that is
different than the original intent.

Back to the top