[technology-pmc] Do we really need the SOC project?

As I look at the current set of components in the SOC project, I find myself wondering if the project is really necessary? Is there any reason why each of these components couldn't just as well have been created as projects under the Technology top-level project?

We can streamline the project creation process. The PMC is already talking about making a creation review document template. Managing project meta-data should be relatively easy. We can just use the Wiki for the project page (with a redirect if desired).

One area that I think might be problematic is the need for two mentors from the Architecture Council. However, I think we can solve that problem.

On the plus side, if student projects are created as actual projects, the "problem" of making students committers gets a little easier as they can be listed as initial committers on the proposal.

The mailing list is handy so I'd suggest we keep that around. I believe that the newsgroup is pretty much useless.

We had been trying to use bugzilla to suggest project ideas, but that really hasn't gathered any steam. We can just use the mailing list for these.

Thoughts, ideas, concerns? Am I missing something important?

Thanks,

Wayne

Back to the top