Re: [egit-dev] jgit and eclipse meta-data.

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 10:14 AM, Shawn O. Pearce <spearce@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> But none of them thought we should also try to locate plugin
> dependencies on the fly the way Maven does.  (Or they did think
> about it and decided it wasn't worth the effort?  If so, WTF.)

On a side note, this functionality will be available in PDE starting
in 3.6 M5. Based on what is in your MANIFEST.MF and what's in your
list of target repositories, you'll be able to automatically provision
things into your target via the target definition. So any missing
dependency will have a quickfix to search the list of target
repositories. As the p2 team is finalizing the API for 3.6, the PDE
team has been working on improving target management.

I would generally prefer to have the MANIFEST.MF and project metadata
available in the project as it makes it easy to pickup and hack the
source in Eclipse. I don't mind having a POM too, the more
environments we can work with the better. Yes it sucks that we have to
maintain two sets of dependencies but thankfully JGit is pretty slim
so it's not that bad.

Cheers,

--
Chris Aniszczyk | EclipseSource Austin | +1 860 839 2465
http://twitter.com/eclipsesource | http://twitter.com/caniszczyk

Back to the top