Re: [egit-dev] jgit and eclipse meta-data.

On 2010-01-08, at 10:54 AM, Shawn O. Pearce wrote:

> Thomas Hallgren <thomas@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Not sure why that is. Did you ping Henrik about the "data molester"
>> stuff that we use for testing network traffic in p2?
>>
>>  http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/egit-dev/msg00537.html
>
> I didn't bother trying to use it.  We wanted a stable container
> to load our servlet into so we could test that it works correctly
> inside of a sane servlet container.  We were a lot less concerned
> about finding ways to destroy the network connection and causing
> errors in the client.
>
>> Perhaps the approach taken there would remove a lot of your grief.
>
> If I had added the "data molester" packages to my manifest's
> Import-Package statement, would the code have compiled immediately?
> No, apparently I need to download it from CVS and compile it myself.
> Yay.  At least with Maven's dependency rules, a stable release of
> Jetty just starts working immediately.
>
>>> Jetty... I couldn't even find their P2 update site to install their
>>> plugins into my Eclipse workspace.  But their in Maven central and
>>> Maven knows how to use it out of the box.
>>
>> AFAIK, all the jetty bundles are in Orbit. The p2 update site is here:
>>
>> http://download.eclipse.org/tools/orbit/downloads/drops/R20090825191606/updateSite
>
> Those are 6.1.x builds, and aren't in standard Eclipse workspaces
> anyway.  Jetty moved to the Eclipse Foundation and has since released
> a 7.x build.  I wanted to start with that version.
>

> <aside>
>
> I think a major failing of P2 is that there really isn't a great
> "P2 central" repository that bundles can be acquired from on demand.

This is not entirely true. We don't publicize it very much yet but it does exist. It's more OSGi Central because we do P2 and OBR:

http://osgi.sonatype.org

We collect and test the repos as they come up:

http://bundles.sonatype.org/index.html#view-repositories

We testing it with P2, Felix, Tycho, PAX and the maven-bundle-plugin. It works reasonably well, but we want it to work better before we promote it.