Re: [egit-dev] jgit and eclipse meta-data.

Thomas Hallgren <thomas@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Not sure why that is. Did you ping Henrik about the "data molester"
> stuff that we use for testing network traffic in p2?
>
>   http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/egit-dev/msg00537.html

I didn't bother trying to use it.  We wanted a stable container
to load our servlet into so we could test that it works correctly
inside of a sane servlet container.  We were a lot less concerned
about finding ways to destroy the network connection and causing
errors in the client.

> Perhaps the approach taken there would remove a lot of your grief.

If I had added the "data molester" packages to my manifest's
Import-Package statement, would the code have compiled immediately?
No, apparently I need to download it from CVS and compile it myself.
Yay.  At least with Maven's dependency rules, a stable release of
Jetty just starts working immediately.

>> Jetty... I couldn't even find their P2 update site to install their
>> plugins into my Eclipse workspace.  But their in Maven central and
>> Maven knows how to use it out of the box.
>
> AFAIK, all the jetty bundles are in Orbit. The p2 update site is here:
>
> http://download.eclipse.org/tools/orbit/downloads/drops/R20090825191606/updateSite

Those are 6.1.x builds, and aren't in standard Eclipse workspaces
anyway.  Jetty moved to the Eclipse Foundation and has since released
a 7.x build.  I wanted to start with that version.

<aside>

I think a major failing of P2 is that there really isn't a great
"P2 central" repository that bundles can be acquired from on demand.

Maven does this, and really quite well.

No, with P2 everyone and their dog needs to operate their own P2
repository, and everyone else and their cat has to add magic URLs
into their IDEs in order to use stable releases of packages in the
global Java package namespace.

I think P2 really missed an opportunity to fix things.  If the
package namespace is "org.eclipse", P2 should have checked with
some sort of repository managed by the eclipse.org domain to see
if it could automatically acquire a suitable release version of
that package.

It doesn't.  It leaves it up to the user to find the magic project
set file and build everything themselves, or find the magic URL
per project, install the plugins, and restart the workspace.

A _major_ reason Maven adoption is as large as it is happens to be
this automatic management of libraries.

</aside>

--
Shawn.