Re: [egit-dev] jgit and eclipse meta-data.

Jason van Zyl <jason@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2010-01-08, at 10:54 AM, Shawn O. Pearce wrote:
> >
> > I think a major failing of P2 is that there really isn't a great
> > "P2 central" repository that bundles can be acquired from on demand.
>
> This is not entirely true. We don't publicize it very much yet
> but it does exist. It's more OSGi Central because we do P2 and OBR:
>
> http://osgi.sonatype.org

This shouldn't have had to be done by Sonatype.  But its great that
you are doing it.

My point was, everyone keeps touting how great P2 is, and how great
the P2 installer thingy is that is now in Eclipse 3.4 and later.
But none of them thought we should also try to locate plugin
dependencies on the fly the way Maven does.  (Or they did think
about it and decided it wasn't worth the effort?  If so, WTF.)

Even if we had .project and META-INF/MANIFEST.MF files the way the
Eclipse guys want... you can't just import the JGit test projects,
because the workbench doesn't have the required bundles, and it
doesn't know how to get them.  Even though the Eclipse IDE could have
easily assumed it should check a repository hosted by eclipse.org,
especially for eclipse.org projects.

No, we have to work around it with project set files, and importing
more source code than we might otherwise need to.  Which is a
massive bandaid.

I guess we should consider ourselves lucky that we also don't have to
check out the source code for SWT in order to reference its packages?

*grumble grumble grumble*

--
Shawn.

Back to the top