Re: [egit-dev] jgit and eclipse meta-data.

On 2010-01-09, at 11:38 AM, Chris Aniszczyk wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 10:14 AM, Shawn O. Pearce <spearce@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> But none of them thought we should also try to locate plugin
>> dependencies on the fly the way Maven does.  (Or they did think
>> about it and decided it wasn't worth the effort?  If so, WTF.)
>
> On a side note, this functionality will be available in PDE starting
> in 3.6 M5. Based on what is in your MANIFEST.MF and what's in your
> list of target repositories, you'll be able to automatically provision
> things into your target via the target definition. So any missing
> dependency will have a quickfix to search the list of target
> repositories. As the p2 team is finalizing the API for 3.6, the PDE
> team has been working on improving target management.

And this is already how Tycho works, so we do download OSGi dependencies from P2 repositories. So we want this to work for automated builds and inside Eclipse. So we're already looking at integrating with the work being done in PDE. Searching for dependencies and provisioning dependencies is something that's been done in M2Eclipse for years. We definitely want to wire up M2Eclipse to do this properly for OSGi dependencies as well. But this must also work from pom-first projects. Which I still argue is going to be the source of more bundles in the next year then anything else.