Re: [jgit-dev] Re: [egit-dev] How to build [EJ]Git?

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 9:39 AM, Alex Blewitt <alex.blewitt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> How does this work when, say, running EGit in a new workspace? How does PDE
> runtime know to use the version of JGit that you're hacking on? Or does it
> just default to using whatever version of JGit you may have installed
> previously as a plugin, regardless of what bits may be in a JGit project?
>
> I'm not sure what happens with a project that has a PDE nature but no
> Manifest.MF. Chris will be able to confirm, but I think it's basically a
> no-op.

PDE needs a MANIFEST.MF as the goal of PDE is to provide high fidelity
between development time and runtime. And at runtime, the MANIFEST.MF
is used, therefore PDE uses the MANIFEST.MF to construct the classpath
based on the same rules that the OSGi runtime uses. In fact, we reuse
the same "OSGi state" code in Equinox that is used at runtime... at
development time we tweak it a bit to allow for a few neat things
(compiling and running out of the workspace, multiple fragments to the
same host, etc...).

So to answer your question, PDE would do whatever OSGi would do based
on your dependencies specified in the MANIFEST.MF and whatever is in
your target (giving things in the workspace preference if there's a
conflict).

Cheers,

--
Chris Aniszczyk | EclipseSource Austin | +1 860 839 2465
http://twitter.com/eclipsesource | http://twitter.com/caniszczyk

Back to the top