Re: AW: AW: What is Riena about? (was AW: AW: [riena-dev] Ridgets)

Hi Elias,

I looked at the code you pointed to.   Thanks.

Although I may have missed something, it looks like the only dependency org.eclipse.riena.ui.* bundles have on org.eclipse.riena.core are the interfaces and abstract classes in org.eclipse.riena.core.marker package (is that right?). If it is right, it sort of begs the question...why not have the org.eclipse.riena.core.marker package interfaces/classes outside of the core? (e.g. in org.eclipse.riena.ui.core or new bundle). Then it would be possible, I think, to have the Riena UI work be a fairly self-contained unit (org.eclipse.riena.ui.* bundles).

But I guess after looking at it only briefly, there's another thing I don't understand about the Riena marker concept in the core: why are interfaces like IMarkable, IMarker, notification, etc., needed when there is the Platform/workbench resource markers?

http://help.eclipse.org/help33/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse.platform.doc.user/concepts/concepts-11.htm
http://help.eclipse.org/help33/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse.platform.doc.isv/reference/extension-points/org_eclipse_core_resources_markers.html

Is there something about Riena's concept of markers that is not possible with the Platform's IMarker's? Sorry if these questions seem naive, but that's a part of building community :).

Thanks,

Scott

Volanakis, Elias wrote:
Hi Scott,

the "appropriateness" question is better answered by Riena's initiators.

For an example on Ridgets see org.eclipse.riena.example.client. The classes SystemPropertiesView and SystemPropertiesViewController are a reasonably realistic example showing how to work with ridgets. In the view you create SWT controls normally and register them with Riena (addUIControl(...)). In the controller you have access to the corresponding ridgets (they will be injected). There are further examples in the packages of this project.

To play around with the examples start the client using the launch configuration in the project. Switch to the "Playground" tab and open the "Playground" category (left hand side). The whole client is pretty much a sandbox for playing around, so you can use it to see what is currently available.

Kind regards,
Elias.