AW: [e4-dev] Why XML UI is important for us

Patrick, I fully agree to your points - however one should be clear about what it means to "use XAML".
>From my pov, there are two aspects:

1. XAML as serialization grammar
XAML introduces concepts like a property element syntax which basically says that
<Button Name="Click me"/>

Equals

<Button>
<Button.Name>Click me</Button.Name>
</Button>

Other concepts are content properties, markup extensions or code behind.
Adopting some of these concepts makes sense, however, they have far reaching consequences that have to be considered.
Property element syntax and content properties for instance make it hard to provide an XSD for XML-Validation.

2. XAML and WPF
You mentioned tools based on XAML. Tools that I know about (as Expression Blend) are based on XAML+WPF. That's a difference. I don't think that it makes sense to adopt WPF's widget model and even if one would do so, I doubt that using Expression Blend for designing Eclipse UIs would be possible.

I agree that using existent standards is a desirable goal. However, in case of XAML I can only imagine of taking concepts and use them (examples mentioned above, maybe Binding syntax, too). Being 100 percent compatible is not realistic.

Regards,
Stefan.