Re: [e4-dev] Why XML UI is important for us

I'm glad to hear that the participants in this thread are going to get together at ESE and work through these issues. Meeting face to face often makes these discussions much easier :)

Unfortunately I can't attend ESE, so I wanted to provide my input here. I hope you'll consider these points when you're making final decisions. In my opinion, there are really two questions here:

1. What should the default UI construction experience be for Eclipse developers? 2. How can we maximize the UI framework's power and flexibility to allow for future innovation?

My answer to #1 is that the default UI mechanism should be standards- based and declarative. I've worked with and trained many RCP development teams. These teams often struggle to learn the many APIs that make up Eclipse RCP. The more we can incorporate familiar solutions into RCP, the easier it becomes for teams to adopt it. Many of the teams I talk to are very interested in declarative UIs, and I'd say that most of them would be very happy with XAML + CSS. Remember that this thread began with an RCP user saying how excited they would be with a declarative UI. Please listen to these users.

Choosing XAML as the default developer experience also allows us to leverage existing resources. There are books on XAML. There are tools that work with XAML. Vendors will be more interested in creating new Eclipse tooling for XAML. .NET developers will be tempted to try RCP, and they might be able to migrate some of their existing UI elements as well. In short, we should always be looking at how to leverage existing standards to build momentum. This is what we did by adopting OSGi, and we should be looking to do the same thing in the UI space.

But how do we address question #2? Well, saying that XAML is the story we tell developers new to RCP does not mean it has to be the only story. If we can back the declarative UI with an EMF model and this can be made transparent to most developers, I say we do it. If this makes possible competing approaches and tools for UI construction, so much the better. If the model evolves into a superset of what's provided by XAML, that's fine. But please let's start with the mechanism that developers already understand and work back from there.

Like the RCP user that started this thread, I'm really excited about what's happening with e4 and I think it has the potential to drastically increase the number of developers using this technology. Keep up the great work!

Thanks,

--- Patrick

Patrick Paulin
Eclipse RCP/OSGi Trainer and Consultant