Re: [e4-dev] how to contribute to toolkit model ?

> Factors are:

I'm not sure we've ever agreed on which factors/features are important?
Right, we haven't. The list wasn't meant to be exhaustive, either, just some random thoughts of mine.

Will the XML even stick around after having instantiated the GUI?

You mean if the representation is "live", so you can change the GUI by changing the representation, like you can with HTML+DOM+Javascript? I thought that was a requirement?
It doesn't look like it. Can someone confirm/deny this? If XWT uses reflection how does this affect tool support?

XML or not can evoke a lot of emotions, which is why I like the DSL analogy (I can't judge how well it fits, though).

The difference between XML and EMF DOMs have practical effects, it's not just emotions. I've invested a lot of time on XML, and I was not happy to abondon it.
I was mainly talking to myself. By default, I don't like XML, so I always try to find objective arguments for and against it.

The DSL analogy is good, and we should be able to discuss the language part (model of UI) separate from the representation part (EMF or XML). E.g. although we could perfectly well represent XWT with EMF (since EMF can represent XML), we would still have the same abstract language (object/constructor/member/parent/... nodes).

--
Axel Rauschmayer

axel@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.pst.ifi.lmu.de/people/staff/rauschmayer/axel-rauschmayer/