Re: [e4-dev] how to contribute to toolkit model ?

On Aug 31, 2009, at 10:27 AM, yves (yingmin) yang wrote:

Hi Hallvard,

I think we should not push a solution for technology reason. It is what I said to use a technology blindly like a religion. Each technology has been designed for a specific purpose and therefore it has its limitation. A magic
pill for illnesses doesn't exist.

We should focus on what we should provide as solution in e4, and select a
suitable solution to reach this goal.

As for e4, We are in short time. We should not reinvent the wheel. As you
said, XAML is proved by industry, it is complete and safe  solution.
However, AFIAK, TM is still in research stage. In general, from research to
industry, the path may be long.

Best regards
Yves YANG

I wanted to weigh in on this from an RCP trainer/evangelist perspective. My personal desire is that e4 provide increased flexibility while at the same time simplifying things (and shortening the learning curve). In my opinion, adding modeling and EMF to the list of things that an RCP developer needs to learn would make things much more complex. I know we are already using EMF for the modeled workbench, but I'm still hoping that EMF will not become a pre- requisite skill for RCP developers.

We want to attract developers from other technologies such as Flex and .NET. These developers will understand XWT and XAML. If we tell them they need to learn EMF to construct a UI, they are going to stick with the tools they have.

None of this is meant to put down TM or EMF in general. I'd like to see these technologies grow and become more popular.

Regards,

--- Patrick

Patrick Paulin
Eclipse RCP/OSGi Trainer and Consultant