From: e4-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:e4-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Hallvard Trætteberg
Sent: Monday, August 31, 2009 4:22 PM
To: E4 Project developer mailing list
Subject: Re: [e4-dev] how to contribute to toolkit model ?

yves (yingmin) yang wrote:
>> i think that e4 should definitly work on this emf-centric toolkit
> instead of XWT...
>
> With all respects to you and your solution, I remind you kindly to give us
> your arguments when you compare to another solution.

In the minutes of the last e4 call, the final bullet asked if e4 should
include both TM and XWT. I think it should include only one of them, but
whatever the choice, there's nothing preventing the other to co-exist as
an installed plugin.

There are many ways of comparing TM and XWT, but what is most important
when it comes to deciding which to support? E.g. we can compare feature
by feature, like how easily a custom widget may be supported (XWT wins,
I believe). Another could be how it will blend in with and potentially
be used by other parts of e4 and "core" Eclipse technologies (TM wins, IMO).

Personally, I think (something like) TM should be chosen, not because TM
is better (or much different) than XWT, but because of EMF is preferable
to XML, in the context of e4 and Eclipse. Although XML is used
throughout industry for a many purposes and many good XML tools exist,
EMF has reached a very high penetration within the Eclipse community,
while Eclipse's support for XML is still not that good. Interesting
EMF-based projects seems to pop up everywhere, and frameworks like CDO
increases the potential of EMF-based tools manyfold. E.g. TM UI + EMF
data + CDO = Shared, cloud ready applications.

There's really no point, that only Yves and I argue over this, as it's
us all as a community that should discuss and decide...

Hallvard