Re: [e4-dev] how to contribute to toolkit model ?

yves (yingmin) yang wrote:

I think we should not push a solution for technology reason.

e4 is technology, and it's the functionality and services it provides and how well it works together and can be extended that counts.

It is what I said to use a technology blindly like a religion.
> Each technology has been designed for a specific purpose and
> therefore it has its limitation.

It's easy to agree, but what does it mean? Has XML been designed to model UI? Has EMF? IMO, a is UI less like documents that XML was designed for, and more like the structured data that EMF is designed for. And XML is less suited than EMF for the kind of processing we need.

As for e4, We are in short time. We should not reinvent the wheel. As you
said, XAML is proved by industry, it is complete and safe  solution.

I didn't say that, I wrote that XWT can more easily support custom widget. XAML is proven in part of the industry, but the XWT implementation is not that old.

However, AFIAK, TM is still in research stage. In general, from research to
industry, the path may be long.

I would not consider it research as the ideas are not new, just the implementation. I don't have strong feelings for my particular implementation of the idea of using EMF as the basis for a declarative UI representation, but I do feel strongly for using EMF instead of XML.

Hallvard

Back to the top