RE: [e4-dev] how to contribute to toolkit model ?

>yves (yingmin) yang wrote:
>>
>> I think we should not push a solution for technology reason.
>
> e4 is technology,
I think your definition of technology is large one and abstract.

> and it's the functionality and services it provides
and how well it works together and can be extended that counts.

XWT has already integrated with all e4 and eclipse system such as CSS,
eclipse  RCP, e4 workbench, EMF data model for Data binding.

>> It is what I said to use a technology blindly like a religion.
>> Each technology has been designed for a specific purpose and
>> therefore it has its limitation.

>It's easy to agree, but what does it mean? Has XML been designed to
>model UI?
XAML is designed for this purpose. XWT relies on XAML specification.

> Has EMF?
It should be a modeling project (e.g. PMF) to deal with this issue.

>IMO, a is UI less like documents that XML was
>designed for, and more like the structured data that EMF is designed
>for. And XML is less suited than EMF for the kind of processing we need.

Our purpose is declarative UI. Again, XAML is designed for it.

>> As for e4, We are in short time. We should not reinvent the wheel. As you
>> said, XAML is proved by industry, it is complete and safe  solution.

> I didn't say that, I wrote that XWT can more easily support custom
> widget. XAML is proven in part of the industry, but the XWT
> implementation is not that old.

At least, XWT use the XAML specification. The design and concept are proven.
As for its implementation, it is just a kind of "loader" to read XAML and
generate SWT/Jface widget. The runtime is still SWT/Jface. The maturity is
guaranteed. And we have worked on this area since early 2007. XWT is just a
sister of eFace.

>> However, AFIAK, TM is still in research stage. In general, from research
>> industry, the path may be long.

>I would not consider it research as the ideas are not new, just the
>implementation. I don't have strong feelings for my particular
>implementation of the idea of using EMF as the basis for a declarative
>UI representation, but I do feel strongly for using EMF instead of XML.

I have noticed here you have used two times "feel". So you are not SURE.

The general idea may be not new. As you know, the path from idea to a
project may take long time. AFAIK, XAML takes more than 3 years. Since there
is not a mature specification and reference implementation, It is hard for
me to consider it as a mature solution from design standpoint (I'm not
talking about the "implementation").

Best regards
Yves YANG