Re: [linuxtools-dev] Using a Dockerfile language server for the Docker editor...

> I've put together a basic proof of concept that's about 50 lines of
> plugin.xml extensions and 20 lines of code :
>
> https://fedorapeople.org/~rgrunber/lsp-dockerfile.ogv
>
> I guess if we really want this, we should look into what needs to get
> CQs opened (node, dockerfile-language-server-nodejs, etc.) and what can
>  be assumed to exist on the system. It still might be nice to also
> support the case where the language server is provided through a
> container.

So after some discussion, it made sense to approach this the same way
other Node.js language server consuming clients have gone, so that
means relying on Node.js being on the system as opposed to providing it
by container environment. Unfortunately most of these projects haven't
transitioned to being an Eclipse project so there's nothing to really
piggy-back off of.

A prerequisite CQ on Node.js is fine, but the dependency list for
dockerfile-language-server-nodejs seems a little crazy (for Eclipse
standards). Just doing an npm install shows a giant tree, and since all
those dependencies contribute javascript packages/functions that are
needed at runtime, I think they would need to be included in whichever
CQ, but it just doesn't seem possible to file a single CQ per package.

Cheers,
--
Roland Grunberg

Back to the top