Re: [linuxtools-dev] Using a Dockerfile language server for the Docker editor...

On Wed, 2017-07-26 at 17:12 +0300, akurtakov wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 5:02 PM, Remy Suen <remy.suen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 9:31 PM, akurtakov <akurtakov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > The last one would be the most time consuming as we will need all the CQs
> > > and etc. so we can distribute the language server with Linux Tools.
> >
> > Is it a fair assumption that someone who installs the tools has Docker
> > installed locally? If that is the case, perhaps the language server
> > could be wrapped as a docker image and then the plug-in would just use
> > `docker run` to launch and connect to it? Or is this idea a little too
> > crazy?
>
> And the image is distributed as part of Linux Tools? This looks a bit too much to me.

Couldn't it all be generated ? I mean as long as Docker is on the
system, we could :

Pull the 'node' image from the Dockerhub repository, build a new image
from the Dockerfile that Remy specified earlier (we could certainly
package the Dockerfile), run that new image (as a container) and then
simply connect to it from the client side.

Our only real 'pre-requisite' is that a Docker daemon exists on the
system, but that's basically the same pre-requisite that the Docker
Tooling itself has, or any plugin that relies on the existence of a
commandline tool.

Cheers,
--
Roland Grunberg