Re: [linuxtools-dev] Using a Dockerfile language server for the Docker editor...

On Wed, 2017-07-26 at 12:34 -0400, Roland Grunberg wrote:
> On Wed, 2017-07-26 at 18:57 +0300, akurtakov wrote:

> > > Couldn't it all be generated ? I mean as long as Docker is on the
> > > system, we could :
> > >
> > > Pull the 'node' image from the Dockerhub repository, build a new image
> > > from the Dockerfile that Remy specified earlier (we could certainly
> > > package the Dockerfile), run that new image (as a container) and then
> > > simply connect to it from the client side.
> >
> > IMHO this makes the Dockerfile editor totally unreliable as any network glitch and etc. will render it useless.
>
> True, but the network would only be needed the first time (for pulling
> / building the necessary image). The argument could certainly be made
> that if a user just installed the tooling, they have a working internet
> connection for the time being. After that all subsequent uses would be
> relying on locally available resources so lack of connection wouldn't
> be an issue.
>
> Cheers,

I've put together a basic proof of concept that's about 50 lines of
plugin.xml extensions and 20 lines of code :

https://fedorapeople.org/~rgrunber/lsp-dockerfile.ogv

I guess if we really want this, we should look into what needs to get
CQs opened (node, dockerfile-language-server-nodejs, etc.) and what can
 be assumed to exist on the system. It still might be nice to also
support the case where the language server is provided through a
container.

Cheers,
--
Roland Grunberg