Re: [epp-dev] Future of Rust/Corrosion in EPP

On Fri, Feb 5, 2021 at 6:11 PM Mickael Istria <mistria@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Fri, Feb 5, 2021 at 5:03 PM Gunnar Wagenknecht <gunnar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Sorry for the confusion - does saying eclipse.org/download vs download.eclipse.org clarify things?

Not really. They are the same to me. One is the website. Other delivers the binaries. :)

No they are not. And it's not a matter of perception but a matter of definition.
download.eclipse.org is a download space provided by Eclipse projects to distribute their content as allowed by the EDP, while eclipse.org/download is a marketing page managed by EF via Planning Council. I don't think anyone beyond project committers have a say about what goes to internal download.eclipse.org space of a project as long as it conforms to EDP.
What was mentioned recently about eclipse.org/downlaods is a constraint for eclipse.org/downloads , which is expressed by EF/Planning Council because it's their content.

I just want to clarify here that the restriction discussed hasn't been voted by the Planning Council so it's purely an EF decision.

These constraint mustn't leak as constraints to a regular Eclipse project; EDP rules apply and "consuming only SimRel content" is not an EDP rule.

I'd like to see the discussion focused on technical aspects: can we technically keep EDP producing packages that fit the constraint of eclipse.org/download & SimRel and also ship the Rust package at the same time? If yes, we should opt for it, to increase the value EPP offers to projects.