Re: [epp-dev] Future of Rust/Corrosion in EPP

Hi Jonah,

> On Feb 5, 2021, at 15:59, Jonah Graham <jonah@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> I think we need to decide whether EPP is the place we build (only) the packages on eclipse.org/download and have some other place to build packages like Rust that are distributed through other channels.

If the project discontinues to be an Eclipse project then we can no longer produce a package.

FWIW, the author who decided to move it away from the Eclipse Foundation has the right continue building and providing a package on his own. Personally, I am against consuming and investing Foundation and Membership  resources (hardware, traffic, webmaster time) into a package which value gets questioned by the author of the project benefiting from the Eclipse Foundation.

> As a specific proposal, I would suggest that at a minimum that the non-simrel repos are hidden behind the profiles of the non-eclipse.org/download and that the EPP release builds don't activate those profiles.

I think the message that EMO sent to cross-project a while ago makes a strong point:

* All features to the package must come through the simultaneous release *

https://www.eclipse.org/lists/cross-project-issues-dev/msg18148.html

I clearly don't see how it would be possible to ship features consumed from p2 repos *not* produced and hosted at eclipse.org.

> (PS better still would be to get Corrosion back in simrel and keep it as a first class member of the Eclipse IDE community :-)

Well, it's open source. If the main contributor decides it's not worth it then we are out of luck.

-Gunnar

--
Gunnar Wagenknecht
gunnar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, http://guw.io/