Re: [egit-dev] Difference between Compare with HEAD and Index

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 8:51 AM, Dariusz Luksza <dariusz.luksza@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In my humble opinion we should have single place where user can review changes that was made in repository and "prepare" commit.

While I understand the desire to centralize information, I am with Stefan in that I am not convinced the 'Synchronize' view was written to handle this.

When you think about the 'Synchronize' view, you often think about outgoing/incoming changes. In the staging area, there are only outgoing changes, in fact, there are two (!) kinds of outgoing changes (as outlined by Stefan's diagram, disk to index and index to HEAD). I think the extra layer (that being the staging area) may also complicate things greatly.

One big problem with the current implementation in Gerrit (besides it being months old because I have been busy with 4.x :)) that Robin pointed out is that it only covers the Eclipse workspace. Hence, it is not an actual reflection of the staging area as it cannot show stuff that's not known by the Eclipse workspace.

Regards,
Remy

Remy Suen
Eclipse Platform/UI Committer