Re: [egit-dev] Difference between Compare with HEAD and Index

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 8:26 AM, Benjamin Muskalla <bmuskalla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I just stumbled across the two entrys in the Compare With menu. What
> should be the difference between comparing against HEAD and comparing
> against the Index?

HEAD means what's in the [current] branch.

The index is what's in the index., whatever you've added to the staging area (but uncommitted). If there's nothing in the staging area then it's just going to compare with HEAD I believe.

> As far as I understand it, we could get rid of the Compare with Index
> action. Additionally, I think we should not expose implementation
> details (like the Index) to the user.

I disagree. The index is one of Git's strengths. Being able to selectively stage and commit changes is extremely helpful. Of course, that isn't really exposed completely/properly in EGit, but anyway...

Regards,
Remy

Remy Suen
Eclipse Platform/UI Committer