Re: [egit-dev] How to build [EJ]Git?

On 2010-01-07, at 6:25 PM, Alex Blewitt wrote:

> On Jan 7, 2010, at 21:39, Jason van Zyl wrote:

>>> That's a call for the JGit project, right?
>>
>> Shawn already decided, he reverted the Tycho part and flipped it to a pom-first maven-bundle-plugin build.
>
> That was because of a blocking issue with Tycho's generated artefacts; specifically, that they couldn't be consumed in any form by Maven 2 projects. I wouldn't call that a 'decided' as what's preferable, but a workaround for something that couldn't be.

Tycho can certainly be made to do that and the for doing conversions whether at build time or whether in the repository is going to be the same. But I still think the pom-first mode for JGit is preferable. We'll get it all to work in Eclipse and when that happens there is no downside to have it work elsewhere too.

> Did we get a bug filed for that? Otherwise, it would seem that any Manifest-first project can only be used in conjunction with Maven 3, which means it's even less compatible with Maven 2 than just using PDE to write the code and having Buckminster generate Maven 2 compatible artefacts.

I haven't filed a bug no.

Manifest-first was designed to work with OSGi projects and Tycho was made to interoperate with PDE.

We are going to take care making all P2 and OBR artifacts through a proxying mechanism in Nexus. The same way we just got it to work for RubyGems:

http://twitter.com/headius/status/6757070764

We can debate the merits of build time versus on-demand conversion but from my perspective converting OSGi <--> Maven can happen dynamically with the results cached and then you only convert what's actually requested and you can record demand.

But if you want to add a feature request to Tycho as a reminder we can get the build time conversion done too. I'm just thinking of the general pragmatism in this case where JGit can work fine as pom-first and I doubt anyone outside of Eclipse/OSGi land is going to want EGit as a normal Maven dependency.