Re: [egit-dev] How to build [EJ]Git?

On 2010-01-06, at 10:42 AM, Gunnar Wagenknecht wrote:

> Am 06.01.2010 15:23, schrieb Jason van Zyl:
>> My point is if you want the highest degree of participation at the community level then a Maven build is probably what you want.
>
> Frankly, that's totally none-sense.

Really? All the consumers of JGit are Maven-based? Gerrit, Hudson, Netbeans (all being converted to Maven at the moment), Maven SCM (obviously) are all Maven. There are probably many other projects using JGit and they are most likely Maven. No it's far from nonsense. Of course I'm biased but I'm also practical.

> If you really want "the highest
> degree of participation at the community level" then you absolutely
> don't want a build system that requires you to install additional
> software.

Maven comes installed on most Linux distros and OS X.

> However, this ain't going to work because Java doesn't come
> with a build system. Thus, you need at least one additional piece of
> software.

Sure, but the one with the most leverage given the project depending on JGit it's Maven.

> I don't want to argue what build system (Maven, Buckminster, Ant) will
> offer the highest support in the community. I'm pretty sure that people
> using system X will find an argument against any other argument other
> people tell "pro" system Y. Most of it is religion.

I would argue it's more about pragmatism at this point. I've never gotten into any religious debates with people about Maven, it's pointless. Let users decide.

>> It also means that people who don't use [XYZ] can also take the
> neutral format of the POM and import the project into [ABC] or [123]
>
> But it also means that we explicitly exclude people who don't use Maven
> from our community. That's very bad.

Again, on the side of pragmatism what's the best solution today?

You think asking people to install PDE Build or Buckminster to build JGit is practical? I wouldn't think so that leaves you with Maven. What solution has come the furthest at integrating both the Eclipse/OSGi world with Maven. That would be Tycho by a long shot so again in the vein of pragmatism the answer is Maven. PDE Build, Buckminster and B3 are not even close. Tycho leverages all the Eclipse technologies like P2, JDT and the OSGi goodies. We made real attempts to bridge the gaps. So again this I would argue is pragmatism not religion.