Re: [egit-dev] How to build [EJ]Git?

Am 06.01.2010 15:23, schrieb Jason van Zyl:
> My point is if you want the highest degree of participation at the community level then a Maven build is probably what you want.

Frankly, that's totally none-sense. If you really want "the highest
degree of participation at the community level" then you absolutely
don't want a build system that requires you to install additional
software. However, this ain't going to work because Java doesn't come
with a build system. Thus, you need at least one additional piece of
software.

I don't want to argue what build system (Maven, Buckminster, Ant) will
offer the highest support in the community. I'm pretty sure that people
using system X will find an argument against any other argument other
people tell "pro" system Y. Most of it is religion.

> It also means that people who don't use [XYZ] can also take the
neutral format of the POM and import the project into [ABC] or [123]

But it also means that we explicitly exclude people who don't use Maven
from our community. That's very bad. Thus, my vote would be to find a
way which allows an easy setup of a development environment without any
requirements of additional plug-ins, etc. If that requires to commit
some files into the repository which are "usually" generated by some 3rd
party software (which might not be available on all community
participants computers) than I'm all for it.

-Gunnar

--
Gunnar Wagenknecht
gunnar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx