Re: [egit-dev] How to build [EJ]Git?

On 2010-01-07, at 3:07 PM, Alex Blewitt wrote:

> On Jan 7, 2010, at 19:44, Jason van Zyl wrote:
>
>> It's not simply the consumption of the artifact after the fact. The project has to be amenable to development outside of Eclipse. For EGit it's not so much a concern because someone using IDEA is not likely to be very interested in EGit. But there are lots of people interested in JGit and Tycho is not going to work anywhere but Eclipse on an IDE level.
>
> That's a call for the JGit project, right?

Shawn already decided, he reverted the Tycho part and flipped it to a pom-first maven-bundle-plugin build.

> It seems to me we either make it easy for Eclipse and difficult for Netbeans and IDEA, or vice versa.

I think we'll manage to have both.

1) Step one is getting EGit to import as a PDE project and now we can do that with:

http://github.com/sonatype/m2eclipse-tycho

Delivered today as promised.

2) Make pom-first projects work well in PDE. Today Igor, Peter Kriens (BND author), and Stuart McCulloch (maven-bundle-plugin author & Sonatype fellow) started talking about how to add incremental support to BND. Once that is done integrating it with M2Eclipse is a piece of cake.

We'll try and get this all wired up as soon as we can.

> The other observation is that at an OSGi level, Netbeans and IDEA support is pretty minimal right now. And JGit is being developed as an OSGi aware bundle that can also be used as a standalone Jar. In order to test that, we really need an IDE that can handle both the idea of a JAR and that of an OSGi bundle.

Well, you can fight Shawn on that. He's pretty adamant that it's Maven 2.x with a pom-first approach. I still content this is the best approach.

> There is of course a separate question of people wanting to consume JGit from a local repo inside a Maven 2 project. I think those are the people that are currently hurt by the idea of Tycho's artifacts. We can talk statistics and wider world usage all we want, but the people we really need to canvas are those on the JGit project - and to be honest, Shawn and Robin are the two who've done the most work on it and should probably be the ones who are saying what JGit needs, rather than hangers-on like myself.

I believe they did. Shawn wants pom-first for JGit. I think Robin just wants something that works. The project files checked in for now will work. In a day or two we'll document using the Tycho -> PDE importing and then that should work decently as well. After that for them both to co-exist in the workspace well together we need to get the incremental BND support working. We'll do that as fast as we can. Peter has agreed to provide any support necessary, Stuart will make any changes necessary to the maven-bundle-plugin, and Igor will wire it all into M2Eclipse.