Re: [egit-dev] How to build [EJ]Git?

On 2010-01-07, at 2:33 PM, Chris Aniszczyk wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 1:32 PM, Jason van Zyl <jason@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> That said it goes for here as well. If Shawn, Robin or the other committers don't want to the Maven route, unwind it and not interfere. I'm not going to force our preference of technology on anyone.
>
> I don't mind the Tycho route for JGit if it could produce mvn2
> compatible artifacts. That's the major blocker, right?

I think Shawn has two objections which are valid:

1) Tycho requires Maven 3.x which in in alpha. Even though by our own ITs these alphas are of significantly better quality then Maven 2.x they are still labeled alphas which doesn't give people the warm fuzzies. It is demonstrably better but still an alpha, primarily because of the embedded APIs.

2) Standard Maven POMs are not generated, because with a Tycho build the POMs are just configuration to drive the build. We take all the metadata from PDE for the build. We had originally envisioned not doing any conversion back to a standard Maven project (artifact/pom) in the build but at the repository level in Nexus. That said we can do this conversion but it's not there yet. But the same logic to convert package level dependencies to requires bundle level dependencies would be the same so we could extract that.

I still think the choice of POM-first for JGit and manifest-first for EGit is the right choice even if we did solve 1) and 2). If someone imports a Tycho project into Netbeans or IDEA it's not going to work and I honestly am not interested in making that integration work. There is already Maven integration there and Tycho is enough work for us to get working with PDE. We're not likely to do that work which would make working on JGit outside of Eclipse more difficult then necessary.