Re: [egit-dev] How to build [EJ]Git?

Hi Jason,
I think the essence of our agreed disagreement is well captured in this paragraph.

On 2010-01-07 16:27, Jason van Zyl wrote:

Again, we will have to disagree because that just riles any serious build automation engineer. I believe that type of coupling is categorically wrong. I believe fidelity is required, I believe that the core logic should be shared, but it has to have started outside the IDE and then embedded in the IDE to provide the same characteristics. Going from what exists in the IDE that has grown out organically is a problem. This is why so many people have problems with automated builds in Eclipse because much of it is so coupled to Eclipse internals. I personally do not believe running a headless Eclipse instance is a sane thing to do for CI for example which I see a lot.

The 'headless Eclipse instance' that you rule out is an plug-in framework with some bundles. How is that different from Maven?

One important difference is of course that this framework is built on OSGi and can utilize the exact same build environment as you normally do in the IDE. There is no separate installer. No redundant meta-data, no additional plug-in framework. It just works.

Keep in mind that the Eclipse build infrastructure is inherently headless. You only need a limited set of bundles in order to run a fully automated workspace build. The headless/UI separation extends to management of the target platform and also to the team providers. This means that the TP can be provisioned using Eclipse .target definitions and source check-outs can reuse existing team repository providers.

You advocate that the sane thing to do is to duplicate all of that into another build system and then maintain it separately. The reason being that you should support Netbeans or IDEA users. And OK, if that support is very important, then I agree that Maven/Tycho has a good position. If it's semi-important, then I would argue that if what's needed is a build system that builds separately from the IDE, why not use the 'headless Eclipse instance' to do that? It's there anyway.

- thomas

Back to the top