Re: [cdt-dev] Removing "Connect" from the Debug view's toolbar

On 30/08/2012 2:27 PM, Marc Khouzam wrote:
It would be a simpler launch you are right.  Simpler is better,
although adding a new launch itself is not simpler.
Maybe it is time to discuss a new approach and see if it is
more user friendly.

With GDB we can now do many more things in the same
debug session: e.g., starting one or more processes,
attaching to one or more processes, detaching, terminating.
And we support all this _during_ a session using prompts.

Imagine, and I'm just writing as I'm thinking,
a "Debug >" menu with submenus "Local session" and "Remote session".
If the user chooses "Debug->Remote Session" we prompt for IP and port
and then launch a remote-attach session.  The user can then
attach or start a process, as well as examine the target.
Similarly "Debug->Local Session" would immediately launch a GDB
without a process being debugged.  The user can then start or
attach to processes using our buttons.

This would be a very simple layer on top of the launch layer but
it would allow users to be able to avoid the entire launch UI.
No need to specify a project, a binary or anything of the sort.
Just two-click and debugging starts, followed by choosing what
to debug.

WDYT?

I like it, but how would you set session specific parameters like gdb path, non-stop/all-stop mode, etc.?

Back to the top