Re: [cdt-dev] CDT 7.0 RC4 Candidate Available

On 4 Jun 2010, at 20:11, Marc Khouzam wrote:

>> One of the ways it helps is ensuring that patches never
>> really go out of date. I've had several patches in Eclipse go
>> stale because someone didn't get around to looking at them in
>> time, and then they became unapplyable. Or, head had moved on
>> slightly and they ask for a new patch they can apply against HEAD.
>
> This would still be necessary for testing the patch, no?

Yes, you would obviously want to do that. But the point is that it's not necessary for the original submitter to re-submit the patch, even if the file has been renamed, chunks of it have been moved around, a method has been pulled up into the superclass etc. Git will be able to apply that patch and then re-play the changes that came after it.

>> With a push to the Git review, the diff stays in diffable
>> format even if the head (master) moves on.
>
> Bugzilla diff gives you this.
> Which is one of the reasons why attaching patches to a bug is so useful
> in my opinion.

Bugzilla diff only works if the patch hasn't gone stale. Even a simple rename will throw it, like a package refactoring. With git, you can still see the changes after that operation.

Alex

Back to the top