Re: [cdt-dev] CDT 7.0 RC4 Candidate Available

On 4 Jun 2010, at 19:49, James Blackburn wrote:

> The egit guys are using gerrit and just clicking around their gerrit
> instance it looks really really cool. The ability to comment in line
> on patches would make the process of reviewing could be a killer
> feature IMHO:
> http://egit.eclipse.org/

Using Gerrit is definitely a killer feature, and that (combined with GitHub) is one of the best reasons for using Git.

One of the ways it helps is ensuring that patches never really go out of date. I've had several patches in Eclipse go stale because someone didn't get around to looking at them in time, and then they became unapplyable. Or, head had moved on slightly and they ask for a new patch they can apply against HEAD.

With a push to the Git review, the diff stays in diffable format even if the head (master) moves on. You can then bring it up-to-date automatically later.

Incidentally, I've had a few commits to EGit over the last 24h from first reporting the feature to getting it rolled out. The fact that it almost becomes a point-and-click operation to say 'yeah, that's good' means that you can accept patches into the head without even being on a computer.

Alex

Back to the top