Re: [recommenders-dev] Argument completion: ping!?

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for the pointers to our own coding conventions. We did not even know about their existence.

Even for Sun's rule set, Tong and I are going to finish soon (before this weekend).
Indeed we do not write JavaDoc comments for everything. For example, if we write a comment for
a field, then we will not do it for its getter and setter.

Still we consider the process of adding comments as a good chance for us to review our code.
As part of the code was written by some former team members, we had better read them again.

Best,
Cheng

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 4:59 PM, Andreas Sewe <andreas.sewe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Cheng,

> I am not sure which sun_checks.xml you mentioned. After installation of
> the CheckStyle plugin,
> we found two rule sets for us to choose. I guess the Sun (Eclipse) one
> mostly uses Sun's code convenstions:
> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/codeconv-138413.html
>
> and has adapted a little as specified by
> Eclipse: http://wiki.eclipse.org/Coding_Conventions
>
> Also, it feels like that this rule set is quite strict by default,
> requiring a large number of javadoc comments
> for almost everything (like fields, setters, getters...).

we at Code Recommenders don't believe that documenting (nearly)
everything is always a good thing. If you have a well-chosen method name
for a short method, the JavaDoc just gets in the way. So, don't waste
your precious time on writing unnecessary JavaDoc just because Sun said so.

Also, have a look at our own Coding Convention in the wiki
<http://wiki.eclipse.org/Recommenders/CodingConventions> -- and suggest
improvements, if some conventions seems to be non-sensical to you. (And
remember the Golden Rule:
<http://wiki.eclipse.org/Recommenders/CodingConventions#Any_violation_to_the_guide_is_allowed_if_it_enhances_readability.>)

That being said, automatic checking of simple stuff is certainly good,
but whether a JavaDoc comment is useful or not is hard for a computer to
decide (but might be an interesting idea for a recommender ;-).

Best wishes,

Andreas
--
Codetrails.com - the knowledge transfer company