Re: [recommenders-dev] Argument completion: ping!?

Hi Andreas,

Yes, we are using extra CheckStyle rules which are recommended
by Eclipse:  http://wiki.eclipse.org/Coding_Conventions/

Specifically we installed the eclipse-cs plugin: http://eclipse-cs.sourceforge.net/
and enable the Sun (Eclipse) rule set. We also tried it on the existing code in
Eclipse Code Recommenders, the results are much better than Args...
So we want to keep in line with existing code :)

Thanks for your suggestions on the use of Gerrit. We will try as you suggested.

Best,
Cheng

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 4:45 PM, Andreas Sewe <andreas.sewe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Cheng,

> We are now working off-line, fighting against hundreds of CheckStyle
> warnings...

Did you configure additional Checkstyle rules? AFAIK, the only
preconfigured rules check whether you are using Unix line endings and
whether each file ends with a line ending. At least the former
checkstyle warnings (which really are errors) should be fixable by
File/Convert Line Delimiters To/Unix.

But maybe you have configured additional checks. If so, I would be
curious to hear what you are checking for. Maybe we can then activate
these rules also for the other Code Recommenders projects. (As I said,
at the moment we don't check very much, but probably should check more.)

> As we failed the code review last time (sorry for our carelessness), we
> want to make the code ready before submit it.

IMHO, there is no such thing as a "failed" code review. The more people
reviewing the code the better. We all miss issues once in a while; no
harm in that.

So, why not upload your "git commit --amend"ed changes to Gerrit (just
make sure to include your "Change-Id:
I53f0e7f9533bce6b9af1e21ebbc0fb0d93cb0b95" somewhere in the commit
message, so that Gerrit knows that the change is not a new one but an
update to <https://git.eclipse.org/r/#/c/10681/>)?

If you want to make explicit that you yourselves don't consider the
current state of the change ready to be merged, just review it with
"-1". That way, everybody knows that you are not ready yet. But maybe
somebody is still interested enough in your code to review it even at
this stage (I certainly would) -- and then you get valuable feedback.

So, updates to a change set are no problem at all. Michael's Jayes 1.0.3
change <https://git.eclipse.org/r/#/c/10698/>, for example, is currently
in its 7th iteration -- and getting better all the time.

Hope this helps.

Andreas
--
Codetrails.com - the knowledge transfer company