Re: [wtp-incubator-dev] More on XSL Graduation ...

Konstantin Komissarchik wrote:
While I agree, I also view the WTP Incubator as it's own project, and the XSL Tools as a sub project within that project.

Have to be carefully transposing personal views onto technical terms with
specific definitions in the process. :)
Right now XSL Tools is a component, not a project. That has particular
implications from process standpoint. Until recently, it was not possible to
have arbitrary nesting of projects, so components were frequently created
when a project would have been more appropriate. Since the process change,
I've seen more and more projects converting components into projects.
Ooops..semantics. :) Yes it's a component in name only. :)

In some ways, this is why I would eventually like to see a true XML Development Tools project either in WTP or housed in the Technology
project.

I would agree with that. The large potential scope of XML development tools
functional area, the pace of growth of activity in this area and the
importance of positioning Eclipse as a viable player in this area all argue
for a dedicated project. So, why don't you propose the XML Tools project
(with XSL Tools as the initial component) right now? It doesn't make much
sense to move this code first into source editing while planning on moving
it again later. In fact, if you were feeling really aggressive, you could
even use the new project to stake out org.eclipse.xml namespace.
Aww....you walked right into it.

http://wiki.eclipse.org/XML_Development_Tools_Proposal

If you do end up proposing a separate project, I would recommend starting it
out as WTP sub-project while you have dependencies on parts of WTP. One of
the things that would hopefully happen once there is a dedicated XML tools
component is that some of the existing pieces from other WTP projects (XML
editor, XSD support, etc.) would eventually find their way into it. If that
happens and interest in this area keeps growing like it has been so far, I
can see this project moving to the Tools project or even becoming a
top-level project in an extreme case. Technology project would not be the
right place as it's an incubator for emerging projects rather than a place
where mature projects can remain indefinitely.
See above. Tools would work as well. Anyways, if anybody is interested, update the wiki page.

Back to the top