RE: [wtp-incubator-dev] More on XSL Graduation ...

> I don't know what Mike and Bjorn said, of course, but not sure WTP Incubator is what they intended.
Well, the comments were directed at the EMF incubator as they were the first to my knowledge to setup one of these persistent incubators, but since Platform Incubator and WTP Incubator have both copied that pattern, the comments apply here as well. The issue is that life-cycle state transitions (like releases and graduation) can only be done at the project level (rather than the component level). In addition to that, projects aren't supposed to remain in incubation indefinitely. They are supposed to get to the graduated state or shutdown phase. Clearly persistent incubators will never leave the incubation stage. From process standpoing, it doesn't really matter that parts of the project are actively moving through all the stages since technically they can't move independently.

The concept of a persistent incubator came about as a back-door (not technically approved by the development process, but EMO is not exactly shutting these down either) solution for the problem of how difficult it actually is to start a project at Eclipse. Between the process and the infrasture needs, the function of the persistent incubators is to ammortize the costs as to lower the overhead bar and attract people who would not normally be interested. If there was an effective and low overhead push-button solution for starting projects then there would not be a need for persistent incubators. Every new incubation feature would get its own project which would release, graduate or die by itself (under supervision of a top-level project PMC).

That's the background. It sounds like you have figured out a way to handle this "graduation" with EMO, which is ultimately what matters. Results over process.

- Konstantin