RE: [wtp-incubator-dev] More on XSL Graduation ...

So out of my own curiosity, how can part of a project graduate or put another way, why is the graduation review even necessary in this case? Would it be more straightforward to take the plugins and features in questions, make a giant patch out of them and create a contribution bug on the source editing project (together with the corresponding CQ). Once the CQ is approved and the patch committed, the current XSL tools committers can be voted in using the regular process. Maybe that’s just subverting the process, but what I hear from Bjorn and Mike, persistent incubators are themselves considered as subverting the process.

In any case… Thought I’d throw this out in case this would make paperwork easier…

- Konstantin

From: wtp-incubator-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wtp-incubator-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Nitin Dahyabhai
Sent: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 1:51 PM
To: WTP Incubator Dev list
Subject: Re: [wtp-incubator-dev] More on XSL Graduation ...

So how's this work with committer rights?  Do the XSL committers "graduate" into being Source Editing committers?  Or do we have to nominate and vote for each individually?

Regards,
---
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse WTP Source Editing
IBM Rational

David M Williams/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS
Sent by: wtp-incubator-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

02/18/2009 01:49 AM

Please respond to
WTP Incubator Dev list <wtp-incubator-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

WTP Incubator Dev list <wtp-incubator-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

cc

Subject

[wtp-incubator-dev] More on XSL Graduation ...

Just to bring everyone up the the same level of knowledge as myself (little as that is :) ...

I have learned that the first step in "graduating" the XSL components into the Source Editing project is to make sure the IP Log is in order, and everything "all clear" from an IP point of view, and it's "approved" by the Eclipse Foundation's IP Staff. And, only after that is done, is the actual graduation scheduled and other materials provided.

Normally, this is semi-automatic, using the automatic IP Log, but in our case, that log includes everything in WTP Incubator, not just XSL. So ... we'll have to do a "manual" one.

I think this won't be too hard, since we can, to some degree, use the automatic IP Log and just take out stuff that doesn't apply to XSL. I think we should do this as a document on our website (not wiki) and in Open Document Format, since at some point we need to "freeze it" (e.g. in PDF format) to provide to the Eclipse Foundation for long term records. I'll be able to start work on this next week (if no one else volunteers), but if anyone wants to take a look at our starting point, here's the URL to the automatic IP Log:

http://www.eclipse.org/projects/ip_log.php?projectid=webtools.incubator