Re: [tycho-user] tycho-p2-extras-plugin FeaturesAndBundlesPublisher - still no visible installable units?

Lars Fischer wrote:
> > I understand that the category publisher is in fact something you may
> want
> > to call outside the build. The FeaturesAndBundlesPublisher is rather a
> hack
> > and should be deleted.
>
> Do you talk about the Maven Mojo or the P2 tools?
> Without the P2 FeaturesAndBundlesPublisher, how could I mirror a local
> created P2 repo in to an other multi-version repo?
> And the Mojo is very handy for this operation. So why should them be
> deleted?

In short, because people will do what you appear to be doing.

In order to aggregate the content from multiple p2 repositories into one, you should use the mirror tool (either stand-alone or as mojo). You should not just copy the artifacts together and call the FeaturesAndBundlesPublisher! The reason is that this may create installable units with duplicate id+version but different content - which violates a basic assumption of p2 and therefore may break you users - and that with problems that can be very hard to understand. It may work without problems - but you won't know when it doesn't.

Therefore, re-creating p2 metadata of artifacts which already have p2 metadata from the build shall not be done. This happens way to easy with the FeaturesAndBundlesPublisher, and therefore we should really delete the mojo.

Regards
Tobias

Back to the top