Re: [tycho-user] tycho-p2-extras-plugin FeaturesAndBundlesPublisher - still no visible installable units?

Lars Fischer wrote:
> 2011/11/14 Oberlies, Tobias <tobias.oberlies@xxxxxxx>:
> >> But does a newer version than 0.12 of the tycho-p2-extras-plugin
> supports
> >> this?
> >
> > This has been requested here [1], but I haven't heard any convincing use
> case yet.
> >

> One use case is to enable the usage of the CategoryPublisher from maven.
> When deploying (publishing) additional features and bundles into an
> EXISTING p2 repository, they are not put inside a category and they
> are not visible in the IDE, if "Group items by category" is activated.
> This is convincing to me...

You can produce categories in the Tycho build and mirror these categories into a multi-version repository (if this is your use case). Categories have synthetic IDs, so there can be more than one IU with the same category label. If labels match, they are merged in the p2 IU.

> I don't know why parts of the P2 tooling are supported
> (FeaturesAndBundlesPublisher) and other parts on same level are
> ignored (CategoryPublisher).

The p2 tooling has mostly been developed to retrofit the build results of non-p2 aware build systems with p2 metadata. With Tycho, you therefore should not need these tools.

I understand that the category publisher is in fact something you may want to call outside the build. The FeaturesAndBundlesPublisher is rather a hack and should be deleted.

Regards
Tobias

Back to the top