Re: [tycho-user] tycho-p2-extras-plugin FeaturesAndBundlesPublisher - still no visible installable units?

2011/11/15 Oberlies, Tobias <tobias.oberlies@xxxxxxx>:
> In short, because people will do what you appear to be doing.
>
> In order to aggregate the content from multiple p2 repositories
> into one, you should use the mirror tool (either stand-alone or
> as mojo). You should not just copy the artifacts together and
> call the FeaturesAndBundlesPublisher! The reason is that this
> may create installable units with duplicate id+version but different
> content - which violates a basic assumption of p2 and therefore
> may break you users - and that with problems that can be very
> hard to understand. It may work without problems - but you
> won't know when it doesn't.
>
> Therefore, re-creating p2 metadata of artifacts which already
> have p2 metadata from the build shall not be done. This happens
> way to easy with the FeaturesAndBundlesPublisher, and
> therefore we should really delete the mojo.

Yes, mirroring should be done by the mirror tool as the name says.

But I use the FeaturesAndBundlesPublisher not to re-create existing data.
My exact usage is to create a P2 repository of third party libs, which
are not available in other public P2 repositories.
This P2 repo is used for Tycho based builds and as source for target
platform configurations. Similar to the Eclipse Orbit repository, but
created by Maven/Tycho.

Therefore I use Tycho feature projects with pom-first dependencies to
some OSGi ready libs. The feature project creates a local p2 repo,
which I do publish into the existing main repo. This is done only
once. This way I only need Maven/Tycho to reproducable create my
"Orbit"-repo without the need to have a headless eclipse or other
build tools to be prepared.

But I will try to switch to the mirror mojo, which you suggested.

Regards,
Lars

Back to the top