Re: [technology-pmc] Project Proposal: Faceted Project Framework

Konstantin Komissarchik wrote:
 I do understand all of that, but is should not have prevented person
proposing new project from soliciting interested parties for the sake of
this proposal, especially if he is convinced that it would be useful to
others.
This works better once a project is proposed. There is an announcement, a newsgroup, etc. It should also be noted that there is no requirement in the Eclipse Development Process that says at least two projects must be involved to create another project.
I don't want to play a word games, but rather use a common sense. For instance, not that many projects are being extracted from existing Eclipse projects. Basically what is the point to extract faceted framework if WTP is the only consumer of this stuff and proposal does not list any other interested parties after 3 or 4 ears since framework been created? If that is not the case, then it should be reflected in the proposal. I know it is your baby project, but it would really make sense to look at it from the outside.
If it turns out that efforts to spread this technology beyond WTP fail, then that will be discussed when the exit strategy for this project from Technology is formulated. Keep in mind that one potential exit strategy is to get the project folded back into WTP.
See, we'll just save everyone time by not doing anything. Just kidding. :-)
  Also, I had an experience dealing with faceted framework, and found it
not that well documented. So, having just one committer on the proposal
would make it hard for that person to improve this aspect of the
project. Moving it out of WTP umbrella would actually decrease workforce
for the project, because it won't be responsibility of the WTP anymore.
I am surprised you say that regarding documentation. There is tutorial, javadoc and various content in SDK documentation. Have you tried opening bugs to highlight areas that don't have adequate coverage?
I suppose that is because we had to do something that is not covered in those tutorials and also we had to dig into specific facet implementations, e.g. configure WTP projects and existing facets, based on external project metadata. If you want to see what we have done, you are more then welcome to look at the code in WTP integration for m2eclipse at
I am particularly fond of patches, btw.
Sure you would, like all of us. But unfortunately it does not work like this. :-(

 regards,
 Eugene

Back to the top