Re: [technology-pmc] Project Proposal: Faceted Project Framework

Konstantin,

I do understand all of that, but is should not have prevented person proposing new project from soliciting interested parties for the sake of this proposal, especially if he is convinced that it would be useful to others.

Also, I had an experience dealing with faceted framework, and found it not that well documented. So, having just one committer on the proposal would make it hard for that person to improve this aspect of the project. Moving it out of WTP umbrella would actually decrease workforce for the project, because it won't be responsibility of the WTP anymore.

I also concerned with moving faceted framework out of the WTP namespace, given that faceted framework in WTP is actually a public API. Please note that 3rd party integrations would have really hard time to support old and new stuff (it is already painful enough to support more then the latest WTP version). Actually I am not that much concerned about faceted framework itself, but how would I have to handle WTP project configuration in Maven tools [1] after WTP itself would be moved to the new incarnation of this framework. It would be really great to see those aspects covered in the proposal.

Another issue that is not covered in the proposal is relationship between facets and natures. From your comments it seem like there is some historical issues between Platform and this framework, but it would be great to have some plan for moving forward, maybe at least plan to address this issue in e4.

Please don't get me wrong, I do think that your proposal is a good idea, but given all circumstances, I am afraid that at this point of time it will create more immediate inconvenience then potential benefits from decoupling it from WTP and it is unclear if anyone thought of it from that angle.

 regards,
 Eugene

[1] http://eclipse.org/m2e/

Konstantin Komissarchik wrote:
As you say yourself, it's a chicken and an egg problem. A project that does not already have a natural dependency on functional area covered by WTP will not seriously consider this framework while it is part of WTP. The goal for making it independent is precisely to facilitate broader adoption.

This discussion will be more relevant when we are starting to formulate an exit strategy for this project from Technology. Where it finds its permanent home will be driven by the precise nature of its adoption.

Note that one of the more frequent questions / requests that I get is how to add facets to a Java project. This is not a WTP use case.

Back to the top