Re: [stp-dev] SVN problems

The problem with that scenario is that the B2J project has already been checked out of SVN and is already linked to the repository. If this is the case then everything works fine.

If I have a project that used to be linked to SVN with tigris and I have disconnected it from that repository to switch to subversive. Now I need to link *the existing project in my workspace* (using subversive) with the SVN repository *without first checking out the project from SVN and overwriting changes*. There seems to be no way I can do that.

When we were using CVS I could take any project (e.g. one not linked to any repository) and share it with a CVS repository. Now I am forced to check out a clean project from SVN and manually copy over changed files into the clean project.

Oisin Hurley wrote:
I have a copy of the B2J plugin in my workspace and it has some changes so I don't want to just overwrite it with the copy in SVN. Instead I want to synchronize it with the one in SVN and then commit the files which are changed as a bugfix.

Ok! Here's how I do that. Assume project checked out, bugs fixed,
refactors effected etc. You have an updated project in your workspace.

First up, you want to check that no-one has put in other changes - you
want to synchronize. To do this I

  - select all the projects that I have checked out
  - right-click -> Team -> Synch With Repository

that switches over to the Team Synchronizing perspective, where I get
a list of all the projects that have changes on the left pane, and
theres a summary of how many changes in, out and conflicts.

I use the filters with the blue/grey arrows in the synchronize view
to select just the incoming changes, then right-click on the projects
with incoming changes and select Update.

Then I filter on the outgoing changes, select the projects, right-click
and select Commit.

If there are conflicts then you get to play with the compare editor
to resolve them, then do your commit :)

I can do this no problem with CVS but when I share the project in SVN I get the previous error screen.

I'm doing Right-click on project -> Team-> Share

Ah - I think that what's happening here is that the 'Share' function
is trying to make a new subversion layout. So synchronize and update
and commit is what you should do instead.

Maybe try it out this other way and see what happens? BTW I am using
Subversive here, but there should be only slight differences as the
Team apis are being used. Let me know how you get on!

BTW -- there is an #eclipse-stp IRC channel on the irc.freenode.net
server on port 6667 -- it's a useful place for asking questions or
running through scenarios like this (well it will be, if people start
going there :)

 best regards
   Oisin