Re: [stp-dev] Discussion on policy support in STP

Hi David,

I really think that we should try to move to a common model so we can support multiple editor windows without serializing/de-serializing the whole document every time someone switches the window. Neethi IMO would be a good candidate since it also offers the WS-Policy operations like normalization, merge and intersection for free.

I'm trying to understand how the XEF editor works, is the code available in the SVN?

Is the following description basically correct:

- When you load a policy, you validate it against the schema for WS-Policy documents - For each assertion, you use the psvi information to determine how to display it
- You currently only support policies in the form

<wsp:Policy>
 <wsp:All>
    <ns1:Assertion_1/>
    <nsn:Assertion_n/>
 </wsp:All>
</wsp:Policy>

How do you enforce this? Do you use a specialized schema?

regards
   Jerry

David Bosschaert wrote:
Hi Jerry,

Currently the XEF Policy Editor does not use Neethi yet. Its internal representation is actually highly based on the XML Schema definitions of the policies and for this it uses the Xerces XML Schema API (http://xerces.apache.org/xerces2-j/javadocs/xs/index.html).

I think at the moment the easiest integration would be on top of the actual XML (WS-Policy) content. The XEF Policy editor currently has 2 tabs, one with widgets and another one with the XML text. There are conversions from one to the other which get triggered when a user flips the page. If a conversion to/from your WTP-based policy editor from the plain XML would be added (or maybe its already there?), we should be able to run both editors (plus a plain text page) in a single multi-page editor, correct?

Cheers,

David

Gerald Preissler wrote:
Hi David,

we're using the implementation of policy intersection in Neethi. We thought about using a model based on Neethi, but did not get around to that yet.

Maybe this is the easiest way to get to a common model beneath the XEF editor and the Sopera one. Do you think moving to a Neethi-based model would be feasible for the XEF editor?

regards
   Jerry

David Bosschaert wrote:
I don't think XEF policy editor has those same restrictions, however it does not yet support all of the WS-Policy formats. The XEF editor currently only supports policies nested in <wsp:All/>, e.g:
<wsp:Policy xmlns:wsp="http://www.w3.org/ns/ws-policy";>
 <wsp:All>
   <acme:Logging xmlns:acme="http://www.acme.com/xsd/2007/08/logging";>
     <file filename="myService.log" rolling_file="true" />
   </acme:Logging>
<acme:Security xmlns:acme="http://www.acme.com/xsd/2007/08/security"; />
 </wsp:All>
</wsp:Policy>

On the policy model, did anyone consider Apache Neethi (http://ws.apache.org/commons/neethi/index.html)? It provides an API on top of WS-Policy documents. This might provide something in the context of a Policy model...

Cheers,

David

Gerald Preissler
Tel.:    +49 (0)228-182 1 91 12
Fax:    +49 (0)228-181 1 90 99
Mobil:  +49 (0175) 26 25 667
mailto://gerald.preissler@xxxxxxxxx

SOPERA GmbH - Open Source SOA
Subscription Services, Support & Maintenance, Training,
Technical SOA Consulting & Customized Development
http://www.sopera.de

SOPERA GmbH · Geschäftsführer: Dr. Ricco Deutscher
Sträßchensweg 10 · 53113 Bonn · Handelsregister: Bonn HRB 15336

Back to the top