Re: [stp-dev] Discussion on policy support in STP

Hi Andrei,

I got better understanding about the policy support in service creation after talked with David last week. I will update the wiki to reflect some latest changes.

Here are some of my answers:
1. policy data model
The ws-policy file is only handled by policy editor. So other parts of service creation will not understand those ws-policy model elemens, such as assertion and alternative.
The policy data model referenced in the wiki is not for the ws_policy file. It is part of the service model used in the service editor.  Please reference the service editor proposal[1] I am working on.

Indeed, It will maps to two files:
*policy.registry file
registry file is used to manage policy schemas and policy snippets across the workspace.
*service.policy file
This file is used to save the mapping between one service and its policy file. Thus we can setup the policy editor page in the service editor.

2. policy attributes
Those policy attributes are attributes of policy schemas or policy snippets, which are managed by the policy registry.
The XEF policy editor define ISchemaProvider interface to allow users to register new policy schema.
In service creation, we may build a policy registry based on that:
* preference page to allow user to add/remove policy schema (or policy snippet)
* Define a PolicySchemaProvider extension point.  Then We will provide a FileSchemaProvider by default, which is used to load schemas from working directory. User may write a database schema provider to load schems from db in more complicated situation.

3. policy editor
IMHO, the XEF policy editor doesn't have those restrictions, such as normal form, custom assertions.
Am i right on this, David?

4. Policy Validation.
I was been told that, the XEF policy editor already comes with validation support. You can add annotations in the schema for policy validation. However, i am not sure if this validation works for assertions and alternatives.
I will update the policy wiki to use the xef policy validation instead of trying to define a new mechanism for now.

5. Generic validation framework.
Cool. That will be a very useful component.
And i think it can be used in both  service creation and runtime governance?

Thanks
Johnson

[1]http://wiki.eclipse.org/Service_Editor