Re: [stellation-res] Stellation status

On Mon, 2002-11-25 at 11:32, Mark C. Chu-Carroll wrote:

> > > (1) Be able to deal with international data. That is, make sure that
> > >   all artifacts, comments, labels, names, etc., all work even in
> > >   non-latin character sets. Since Java is working in UTF-8, as long as
> > >   the databases can handle UTF-8 characters correctly, we're already
> > >   there. But this requires testing to be sure in all the DBs - do you
> > >   have any good UTF-8 non-latin data that you can give us for testing?
> > >
> > > (2) Everything in (1) plus have all system messages be in translatable
> > >   resources. Java and Eclipse both provide a lot of support for this,
> > >   but it's still difficult.
> > >
> > > (3) Everything in (2) plus have all command names and options also be
> > >   in translatable resources.
> >
> > I believe that doing (2) and (3) properly requires a tool that is not
> > currently available to my knowledge that would both automate the conversion
> > process and also make the process of adding new internationalizable strings
> > as easy as simply typing them. However, such a tool would need to be written
> > as an Eclipse plugin which would make life somewhat difficult for the
> > command line folks, or which would complicate release procedures.
>
> My own opinion here is that if we can do something like this using an
> Eclipse plugin, we should go ahead and do it, so long as it remains
> *possible* for non-Eclipse users to work on it. If non-eclipse folks
> have to do all of the internationalization work by hand, that's fine,
> as long as the Eclipse method of handling it doesn't make it impossible
> to do from the command-line. Even if making it easy to do from Eclipse
> makes it slightly *harder* to do from the command line than it would be
> otherwise.
To handle all data correctly (1) there's no need for a plugin.

Moving all system messages to resource files (2) is a tedious task, but
achievable. A tool that helps in the task would be interesting. If it is
an Eclipse plugin it would be even better. I will ask for help on this
in my company.

It will not be necessary for my company to translate commands an options
(3) as we will handle all communication with Stellation using a custom
XML-RPC interface.

> And one of our avowed goals is to simplify
> distributed development, and interaction with overseas development teams
> is one of the examples of distributed development where the problems are
> at their worst, and thus, people are most willing to try something new
> to solve them. So it is very much in our interest to make this system
> work smoothly.

Working on a distributed environment is very complicated. If Stellation
can simplify 1% of the development process, it's something worth trying.

Regards,
Rodolfo

--
Rodolfo M.Raya <rmraya@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>