Re: [stellation-res] Stellation status

On Mon, 2002-11-25 at 07:39, Jonathan Gossage wrote:
> [...]

My own opinion here is that if we can do something like this using an
Eclipse plugin, we should go ahead and do it, so long as it remains
*possible* for non-Eclipse users to work on it. If non-eclipse folks
have to do all of the internationalization work by hand, that's fine,
as long as the Eclipse method of handling it doesn't make it impossible
to do from the command-line. Even if making it easy to do from Eclipse
makes it slightly *harder* to do from the command line than it would be
otherwise.

We *are* an Eclipse subproject, so we shouldn't be afraid to make use
of every bit of power that Eclipse can give us.

> The Eclipse folks have written a tool that does part, but not all of the
> job. It works, but I was less than enchanted with the human factors and
> general usability. In any case it did not address the entire problem. If it
> looks as if there may be significant I8N demand during the early life of
> Stellation I could devote my time to this problem. We should remember that
> Asia is probably the fastest growing area on the planet with regard to new
> developers.

You're on the mark there. And one of our avowed goals is to simplify
distributed development, and interaction with overseas development teams
is one of the examples of distributed development where the problems are
at their worst, and thus, people are most willing to try something new
to solve them. So it is very much in our interest to make this system
work smoothly.

	-Mark

--
Mark Craig Chu-Carroll,  IBM T.J. Watson Research Center
*** The Stellation project: Advanced SCM for Collaboration

Back to the top