Re: [rt-pmc] Gemini subproject situation

Looking back at your original note, I now realize that your preference was
to graduate the project.  I originally thought your were reluctant to do
that.  So I was going down the path of you publishing a release from the
incubator project, in that case I was recommending that you use version
0.9.  If your preference is to first graduate the project and then do a
release from the newly graduated project then I do think using version 1.0
is the correct thing to do for that release.

Tom

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  |01/18/2012 09:21 AM                                                                                                                               |
|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>
  |Re: [rt-pmc] Gemini subproject situation                                                                                                          |

I didn't say I wanted to stay in incubation, in fact I think I stated
that my preference is sort of leaning toward leaving incubation. I just
want the project to be able to have a full-fledged release for the
community, I don't really care whether it happens within an incubated or
graduated project. It was just that given the circumstances the most
correct path to get there was a little unclear.

On 18/01/2012 10:09 AM, Campo, Christian wrote:
> Ok maybe you can help me understand why you are not just leave
incubation, graduate and do a full 1.0 release ?

> I reread your original email and didnt see a hint, why you want to stay
in incubation. (its of course your choice, but I am curious)

> christian
>
> Am 18.01.2012 um 16:03 schrieb michael keith:
>
>> Just to clarify a few things:
>>
>> - I never said that support would be discontinued, I said that it was
>> unlikely much more development would occur on it (for the reasons I
>> already gave). If there are bugs that need to be fixed they will be
>> fixed, and if people have support issues they will be dealt with. This
>> should be expected with any release from any active project at Eclipse
>> and will be the case for the Naming subproject.
>>
>> - The strong message that is being sent by putting out a release is
>> exactly the message the Eclipse community wants a release to send, i.e.
>> that the software has undergone a thorough IP review, peer review, PMC
>> approval, has suitable documentation, tests, etc, and meets the high
>> standards that Eclipse sets out. To my knowledge, putting out a release
>> makes no promise of future releases.
>>
>> In short, I do mean what I say (although I may not have necessarily been
>> saying everything that I mean...)
>>
>> -Mike
>>
>> On 18/01/2012 9:45 AM, Campo, Christian wrote:
>>> ok but at the sametime your are discontinuing its support. At least
thats what I read from your email. I am not sure I understand yet how that
fits together.

>>> As I understand your mail you dont plan any further releases
whatsoever. Now doing a release sends a strong message as you are saying
yourself, and I agree. Now if you dont mean what you are saying, I think
you should be extra careful......

keith<michael.keith@xxxxxxxxxx>    wrote:
> [...]
Naming

It is