[rt-pmc] Gemini subproject situation

We have a question in the Gemini project that we would like to ask the PMC to weigh in on.

The Gemini Naming project was a Gemini subproject that was never intended to be maintained much, but that some people find useful. It is the implementation of the OSGi JNDI spec that might not ever be updated because there will likely not be a need. Bob Nettleton from Oracle wrote and led the project until about a year ago when he was no longer able to be involved. He made a 1.0.0 M1 milestone available. The project never left incubation when most of the other Gemini subprojects did.

We have had some people ask for a release and one suggestion was that we put out a 0.9 release and leave the project in incubation. However, since a 1.0.0 M1 milestone was already made available it would seem like the wrong choice to put out a lower 0.9 release at this stage. I always figured that projects should not release a 1.0 while in incubation, but the alternative is to graduate the project, release a 1.0, and effectively not do any development on it. It should be released, but which of these options, or some alternative option, do people think would be the best course of action?

1) Bring the project to graduation (even though there may not be much development on it after that point) and release a 1.0

2) Leave the project in incubation and put out a 0.9 release, even though a 1.0 M1 is already available

3) Leave the project in incubation and put out a 1.0 release

Whatever choice is the right one would be fine, we just don't know what that is. My vote would probably be for (1), but as the Gemini project lead I am somewhat interest-conflicted :-).

Thanks,
-Mike

Back to the top