Re: [ptp-dev] Problems with commit for fix for bug 424335

I updated the wiki to explain how to reset/checkout/switch the workspace before making a change and how to amend a change.

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 7:12 AM, David Wootton <drwootton@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 01/13/2014 07:57 AM, David Wootton wrote:
> On 01/10/2014 11:02 AM, Greg Watson wrote:
>> Dave,
>>
>> You shouldn’t get a new Gerrit URL because you’re just adding a new
>> patch set to the original change. However, I don’t see a second patch
>> set for https://git.eclipse.org/r/20211 so something is still not
>> working. What message did you get?
>>
>> To fix the conflicts, you’ll need to stash your changes (go to Git
>> Repository Exploring perspective, right click on the repo, the select
>> Stash Changes). This should revert your workspace back to a clean
>> copy. You should then be able to pull. Assuming that worked, go back
>> to the Git Repository Exploring perspective and open up the Stashed
>> Commits folder in the repo. Right click on the stash and select Apply
>> Stashed Changes. You’ll probably see some conflicts, but at least you
>> should be able to resolve these. Then commit to your local repo again
>> with the Change-Id from the original commit, and push to Gerrit.
>>
>> Greg
>>
>> On Jan 10, 2014, at 8:28 AM, David Wootton <drwootton@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm trying to commit a fix for bug 424335 in Luna based on code
>>> review comments.
>>>
>>> I backed out my previous attempt to process this fix by abandoning
>>> the update in Gerrit and reverting back to the previous version in
>>> my workspace. Then I did a commit, using the changeid from my
>>> previous fix and a push to Gerrit.
>>>
>>> This all worked for Kepler except I did not get a new Gerrit URL,
>>> maybe because I'm updating a previous attempt.
>>>
>>> When I repeated this for Luna I got as far as attempting the commit,
>>> where I get a popup stating 'Internal error occurred' and 'no
>>> changes', even though I can see the file is changed in my workspace.
>>> I'm not sure what went wrong here.
>>>
>>> Also, if I attempt a pull un Luna, I get a popup telling me I have
>>> conflicts even if I revert the file back to my first attempt at
>>> fixing bug 424335
>>>
>>> Also, the project explorer view shows each project has 'up arrow 3
>>> down arrow 5' beside it. In Kepler, after the push, I just have 'up
>>> arrow 3'
>>>
>>> Dave
>>

> I was able to push the changes for Luna. When I tried to do this for
> Kepler Friday, I got thru the 'Push to Gerrit' step and thought I saw
> all successful completion messages.
>
> I tried a commit again this morning thinking I hadn't really done that
> and it told me 'no changes'.
>
> Do I need to do the same thing in Kepler that I just did for Luna?
> Dave

I never saw any emails after I tried the push to Gerrit for my updated
fix in Luna, and in checking the history at
https://git.eclipse.org/r/#/c/20221/ there's no sign of the update.

I decided to try the push again, and the status in the top of the push
results dialog says 'refs/for/master: HEAD [remote rejected] which I may
have missed yesterday, thinking the message details section was showing
me successful completion. I have the messages today as posted below.

Is this failing because I abandoned the second patch set that I
incorrectly committed with a new change id, as the first couple lines
seem to indicate, or some other reason?

Repository https://dwootton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/r/p/ptp/org.eclipse.ptp

change 20443 closed
Processing changes: refs: 1
Processing changes: refs: 1, done
----------
Reviewing commit: commit 8973004b884328b2f3aaef9de5ecfeb2eddcb611
1389700503 ----sp
Authored by: David Wootton <drwootton@xxxxxxxxxx>

The author is a committer on the project.

This commit passes Eclipse validation.
----------
Reviewing commit: commit da1d8cb02672ae3924bebf6ab96778d732523118
1389700504 ----sp
Authored by: David Wootton <drwootton@xxxxxxxxxx>

The author is a committer on the project.

This commit passes Eclipse validation.
Reviewing commit: commit 1c90b0d1360c285186ce8da277764cd48af4624a
1389700504 ----sp
Authored by: David Wootton <drwootton@xxxxxxxxxx>

The author is a committer on the project.

This commit passes Eclipse validation.
Reviewing commit: commit a639ce2496145ec917b7f80c765ee7eed4108c92
1389700505 ----sp